Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fave Friday: "Samson"

Because I can't really think of an album I'd like to claim as a fave this week, I'd like to showcase one of my favorite songs. In fact, it might be my favorite song in the history of any song.

"Samson" by Regina Spektor



There are no adjectives, no describing terms, no ways of writing to express the beauty of this song. Regina's voice is just so amazingly entrancing and beautiful that it's impossible to not at least feel something at this song. I'm nearly moved to tears no matter how many times I listen to it.

The piano is gorgeous, but it all pales in comparison to Regina's voice.

The song itself could easily pass as a poem, and these lyrics are probably my favorite lyrics in the history of everything. Absolutely. Especially the opening, "You are my sweetest downfall/I loved you first/I loved you first" that describes the sweet pain of love and the loss it comes with. And "beneath the stars/came falling on our heads/they're just old light/they're just old light" takes a shot at all things cliche about love. And that's just the good parts.

The story told is one that brings about dark nights and love and trust and life. I can't even describe it.

So, this is my favorite song, pretty much. Some songs come close, but there are very, very few that have reached this level of godliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment