Saturday, January 10, 2009

(late) Fave Friday: Frou Frou

Sorry about no post yesterday. Internet kinda crapped out on me. So, here's my late Fave Friday, in which I post about my favorite albums.

Frou Frou//Details

Photobucket

I heard one commercial for the movie Garden State and I was in love. I, being exposed only to Top 40 music and other crap at that point, was astonished that something so beautiful, so gorgeous existed. I looked and looked and found that the beauty I heard was “Let Go” by Frou Frou. I truly believe this song, and this album, started my love of music in the first place, so I figured it would be a good place to start my Fave Fridays.

Frou Frou, a band fronted by Imogen Heap and backed/produced by Guy Sigsworth, unfortunately disbanded in 2003. The good news? They made this amazing album before that point.

Details is a great exploration in the many genres that fit Imogen Heap’s astounding voice. There’s lots of electronic backing, with pop components and light acoustic tendencies. Synthesizers and normal instruments play in harmony. Above all, the lyrics are genius. Completely genius. Every song could easily pass as a classic poem. I actually had trouble writing this as I listened to the album. You’ll just stop what you’re doing and listen to it, not remembering what you were doing in the first place. It’s kind of annoying, but worth it for the result.

I normally won’t do song-by-song reviews for albums I really like, because the most I’ll be able to say for every song is “Great. Great. Amazing. Other positive adjective.” So I decided I’ll just pick a few standout songs that you should hunt down and listen ASAP. It was really hard for Details, as I love every song on this album. But I sucked it up and picked a few. (Along with some Youtube links to hear the songs.)

“The Dumbing Down Of Love”
One of my favorite songs ever created right here. Piano in the background creates a sad feeling, for good reason. The song is pretty much a poem to music. I can’t even describe how amazing the lyrics are, so here’s a link. The song has so much feeling, either with Immi’s voice or the piano or the lyrics or something, that if you’re not at least tearing up by the end of it, there might be something wrong with you.

“Let Go”
Obviously, I picked this because it was the first song I heard by Frou Frou. But it’s also one of the best. The song is simply amazing. I can’t think of one thing wrong with it.

“Psychobabble”
It’s a story of obsession and insanity, could pass as a short story, and is addictive to listen to. The lyrics are amazing. “If love is surrender/then whose war is it anyway?” Though it is a soft song, mostly, there is a feeling of power and strong feelings in it. I suggest it to anyone and everyone.

2 comments:

  1. "Music is worthless unless it can make a complete strange break down and cry"

    I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's one of my favorite lines in any song ever. :]

    ReplyDelete