Saturday, January 3, 2009

Top 5 Songs of 2008 I Loved



(The happier continuation of Top 5 Songs of 2008 I Really Hate)

2008 did have good songs come along. These are songs I'll be listening to for a while, whether they're not very critically acclaimed or overplayed to crap. Either they're amazing and I haven't gotten sick of them or they haven't gotten the machine gun playing of the worst songs of '08.

With no further ado...

5. I Kissed A Girl - Katy Perry

Okay, I know. Quit rolling your eyes at me.
Sure, this got the airplay overkill of the century. I know. I don't know if it's Katy Perry's amazing voice or how real, emotional, and taboo the song sounds...but the song is great. It's catchy and it stays in your head and never gets out. You're singing along and you don't even know it. I think that is a successful song, no matter how many people get pissed about it.

4. So What - Pink

I don't think this song will ever get old. Pink pours her heart and soul into "So What" after her divorce. The song is an anthem of rebellion and courage. She's pretty much saying fuck the world and produces an upbeat, catchy song that brings a smile to every love-scorned girl. (Including myself.)

3. Spotlight - Jennifer Hudson

For being a popular Top 40 song, this song has a lot more substance than the usual public is used to. It's a song of longing for the outside world but not knowing enough about the inside to leave. Jennifer Hudson has somehow made a gorgeous, soulful song and made it catchy enough to make it insanely popular. Sure, it didn't get the airplay that some of these songs did, but I think I like it better that way. "Spotlight" is too beautiful to be ruined by overplaying.

2. Just Dance - Lady GaGa and Colby O'Donis

Yes, I'm aware it's generally the same basic idea as Metro Station's "Shake It", which I loathe. But it's done so, so, so, so much better.
Lady GaGa creates the catchiest song of the year, in my opinion. The background beats are absolutely amazing and the synthesizers don't go insane. Of course, the song is made to be a dance beat, but Lady Gaga's vocals are so beautiful that you don't even notice you're not at a bar dancing on a table to it.

I'm singing it in my head right now and will be for the next few hours.

1. Viva La Vida - Coldplay


Obvious answer of the year, much?

I don't need to tell you how good Coldplay's Viva La Vida is. Everyone else already has. I haven't met, heard from, or read anything from anyone who didn't like that album. Obviously, the title song has been the most popular, and the song is simply gorgeous. I need not say more aside from the fact that Coldplay are complete genii.

P.S. My opinion is subjective and you might loathe these songs as much as I love them. I'd love to hear from you, internet. What did you hate in '08? What did you not hate?

No comments:

Post a Comment